Welcome Island View Families!
I hope you had a chance to have fun and rejuvenate this summer. I also realize extended breaks can be difficult for families to navigate. With both thoughts in mind, I extend a very warm welcome to our new and returning students. I cannot wait to see you all soon.
I think we are all excited to enter a school year that looks mostly post-COVID normal. We have some exciting plans for our students and families as we begin the 2022-23 school year. Following are some highlights:
- Recesses will go back to “normal,” with the K-2 students enjoying recess on the north playground and the 3-5 students enjoying recess on the south playground.
- While we will continue the same lunch rotations we’ve had the last two years, students will be able to choose their seats at their class tables.
- We will resume before-school, outdoor recess at 8:35 where K-2 students should go to the north playground, while 3-5 students should go to the south playground. We will not be able to accommodate students before 8:35.
- We will continue our current drop-off and pick-up procedures. Parents can walk students to the top of the stairs on J Ave or pull into our drop-off lanes in the parking lot. At the end of the day, I ask parents to either pull into the pick-up lanes in the parking lot or wait for students in the grass area along J Ave. These procedures allow staff to keep your students safe and ensure students leave with the proper adult. (One exception: Kindergarten parents—please feel free to walk your students onto campus on Kindergarten’s first day of school, September 9th.)
- August 31st - New student scavenger hunt from 5:00-6:00. The Island View PTA is offering an informal opportunity for new families to explore the building and find important spaces. Classrooms and teachers will not be available during this event.
- September 1st - Meet and Greet from 3:30-5:30. All students and families are welcome to explore the building and visit classrooms and meet teachers and staff.
- September 6th - First day of school for students in grades 1-5.
- September 9th - First day of school for kindergartners. Also, the PTA is sponsoring a Donuts and Coffee event for K-2 parents from 9:15-10:00 in the theater. This is a great opportunity to get to know other parents and shed a few tears and share a laugh with one another. In past years, this has been a kindergarten-only event, but our thoughtful PTA wanted to extend an invitation to 1st and 2nd grade families who did not have the chance to meet during COVID.
During the recent Ready-to-Learn Fair, I saw many of our students. One student filled my heart with a big hug and the warm greeting, "I missed you so much!" She took the words right out of my mouth. I look forward to a building teeming with curious and vibrant children.
See you Soon-
Save The Dates
31: New Eagles Meet & Greet / Scavenger Hunt 5-6pm
1: Meet & Greet for all Island View students 3:30-5:30pm
6: First day of school (1st - 5th grades)
9: First Day of Kindergarten
9: K-2 Parent Social (Donuts & Coffee) at the theater 9:15-10:00am
18: Fueling Education Fun Run at Washington Park 8:30am-12pm
20: IVE PTA Meeting at the IVE Library 6-7pm
23: K-5 half day
30: Movie Night 7pm
18-21: K-5 half day
29: Trunk or Treat Event (location TBD or at the AHS parking lot)
New Eagles Meet & Greet/Scavenger Hunt
Wed, August 31, 5-6pm
This event is for all new students/families (Kinder through 5th). New students will be given a passport to guide them in their search of important/good to know places throughout the school in order to give them a chance to familiarize themselves with the building and get more comfortable. There will be a small prize for our new students at the end of the scavenger hunt! (Yes, there will be a prize at the end of the scavenger hunt).
Note: Most of the classrooms will not be available to the kids during this event but students will have an opportunity to see their specific classroom and meet their teacher at the formal meet and greet event on September 1, 2022 from 3:30 to 5:30 pm.
K-5 Meet & Greet
Thurs, September 1, 3:30-5:30pm
This meet and greet event is for all Island View Eagles and families to meet their new teachers at their new classroom.
K-2 Parent Social (Coffee & donuts)
Fri, September 9, 9:15am
Fueling Education Fun Run
Sun, September 18, 8:30am-12pm
This event was so fun last year! Island View even earned the grant money (for having the highest percentage of student/teacher participants) which we used for water bottle filling stations at the school.
Every September, ASF partners with Puget Sound Refinery and races into the school year at the annual Fueling Education Fun Run. PSR puts on this amazing event which brings our community together and helps raise close to $50,000 a year to support Anacortes students. In previous years, funds raised supported COVID Relief Grants (2020), mental health supports for Anacortes students (2021), and STEM College Scholarships. This year, our goal is to provide more access for Anacortes students to STEM and CTE programming.
Register today at asfkids.org/funrun or scan the QR code on the flyer!
Schedule on the day of:
08:30: "Day of" registration/check in.
09:00: Kids' Run starts
10:00: Fun Run/Walk starts (2.3 miles run within Washington Park)
ISV PTA Meeting
Tue, September 20, 6-7pm
This will be our first meeting of the year. We need members and we need volunteers! Please join the PTA to make our kids' school experience the best it can be.
Location: In the ISV library and there’s a zoom link below for those who want to attend virtually
Keep your eye out for additional information on the PTA Facebook page!
PTA - September PTA meeting
Tuesday, September 20 · 6:00 – 7:00pm
Movie Night at Island View
Fri, September 30, 7-8:30pm
Audience: All ISV students and families
Movie: The Bad Guys
Start: 7 pm, Roughly ending at: 8:30 pm
Location: TBD (might be the theater but we are exploring the option of broadcasting the movie outdoors. We'll get back to you soon!)
Box Tops help Island View!
Box Tops is a fantastic and easy way to support Island View. Remember to redeem these valuable coupons by scanning your shopping receipts in the Box Top for Education app within 14 days of eligible purchases.
As of August 28, IVE has raised $55.50 and the school year is just beginning. If we all scan our receipts we’ll earn up to $1000 for Island View in no time.
Are you able to Donate?
If you are able, please consider donating to the Island View PTA so that we can continue to support the Island View staff and students as much as possible. Thank you!!
You can also help by selecting Island View PTA as your charity of choice in Amazon Smile! Once you have it set up, you just shop as you normally would, and Amazon will automatically donate 0.5% of your purchase total to us! Super easy and it means a world of difference to our staff & students! Thank you for your support!
The Spiritwear store will open soon. Stay tuned for more details and a new look!
Please Join Today!
We'd love you to become a member of the Island View PTA, even just joining benefits our school so much.
Wishing everyone a great start to the 2022-2023 school year!