Dear Island View Families:
First and foremost, I hope your family is healthy. The entire Island View staff has been remarkably impressed with the positive energy and patient understanding our families have shown as we’ve navigated our online continuous learning plan. Thank you.
While this spring has been obviously unique and difficult, I have been overwhelmed by your inspiring children. I have watched a fully choreographed and intricate dance video by a third-grade student. I have seen photographs of kids painting, performing karate, and preparing bakery-worthy pies. I have listened to student recordings of reading, mathematical problem solving, and coding. I have even enjoyed a virtual zoo field trip with a class. Much inspired learning has occurred the past several months.
Yet I realize that is not the whole story. I have had many conversations and communications with parents and students who are struggling mightily in our current situation. It is challenging to keep up with school communication. It is hard to engage young children in online learning, especially with parent work demands. This has not been an easy three months.
So, I ask you to give yourself and others grace—and know that we made it. Together, as a cohesive school community, we made it.
Looking ahead, I would like to congratulate our 5th graders on moving up to AMS! I cannot wait to see students and families later this week as we have our drive-thru events on Thursday and Friday. Logistical information can be found in my earlier email and in this newsletter.
Now, I wish you a restful and fun summer. Thank you for being part of our proud, soarin’ school community. As always, please reach out to me with questions, suggestions, or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 360-503-1490.
With much gratitude,
Brian Hanrahan, Principal
Laptop Computers - Keep 'Em!
Chromebooks/hotspots will remain home with students over the summer. They may be used for online enrichment activities through various websites that do not require a district login. Parents and their students may refer to Anacortes Learns: Enrichment, Anacortes Reads, or the Technology Handbook for ideas. Parents will be responsible for monitoring their students' internet use. If you do not want your child to use their district device, please turn it off and store it in a safe place to begin using it in the fall.
If you are NOT returning to the Anacortes School District in the fall, you can return your child’s Chromebook to the Tech Window (by the District Office - 2200 M Avenue) at Anacortes Middle School on either June 22 or June 26 between 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Library Books - Return 'Em!
Please gather up and return all school library books - and any other school items that should be returned - at the end of this week.
We are planning a “drive-thru” drop-off/pick-up experience very similar to the one the district used to distribute laptops to elementary students. Our end-of-year event will be organized by grade levels. Below is a schedule with days, times, and guidelines. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate different grade-level siblings in a single time slot.
One last note, if you are unable to pick-up and drop-off materials at your student’s designated time, please do not be concerned. We will provide an opportunity for self-service pick-up/drop-off the week of June 22. Mr. Hanrahan will send details about that process later next week.
Thursday, June 18th Grade-Level Schedule
· Kindergarten and Life Skills - 9:30-10:15
· 1st grade and Ms. Ross’s class - 10:30-11:30
· 2nd grade - 11:45-12:45
· 3rd grade - 1:00-2:00
· 4th grade and Mr. Lincoln’s class - 2:15-3:00 (Ms. Shainin’s 4th grade students will pick-up on Friday, June 19th.)
Friday, June 19th
· All 5th grade students and Ms. Shainin’s 4th grade students - 11:30-12:30.
· At 10:30 that morning, our 5th grade moving-up ceremony will go live on YouTube. A link will be sent to 5th grade families on June 18th. We hope you watch the ceremony with your student and then head to school for congratulations, certificates, goodbyes and belongings!
· Pick-up/drop-off stations will be in the bus loop and in the main parking lot in front of the school. Please follow the signs posted on J Ave. to your student’s teacher station.
Prep and Flow
· Please be patient and careful!
· Please stay in your car the whole time you’re at Island View.
· When your teacher station is available, pull up and roll down your window. Please hand out your child’s library books to the waiting staff member.
· After the library books have been taken, your child’s teacher (or another staff member) will hand in your child’s bagged belongings.
· Smile, wave, and say goodbye to your teacher.
· All staff members will wear masks and rubber gloves.
· Students and families will remain in cars.
· Appropriate social distancing will be used by all staff members.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Hanrahan at 360-503-1490 or at email@example.com.
YEARBOOKS FOR ALL!
Thanks to the generosity of the Island View community - including the large number of families who pre-purchased yearbooks - every student and staff member will receive a yearbook this year! They will be included in your child’s belongings.
PTA - Business as NOT Usual
The Island View PTA planned to raise over $58,000 to fund the many academic resources, opportunities, and activities we provide for the staff and students at our beloved school. The vast majority of those funds are raised through our two major fundraisers: Chocolate Bar sales in the Fall, and the Color Run in the Spring. The coronavirus forced us to cancel the Color Run, and selling chocolates in the fall while maintaining social distancing will likely prove impossible.
We are actively brainstorming new fundraising ideas that are safe and practical. We welcome any ideas! Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The most practical idea of all is direct donations. If your family is in a position to help, we would be so thankful for your tax-deductible donation of any size. https://www.islandviewpta.org/donate/
The PTA is grateful for all the support this year to our incredible school and students!